Sunday, February 13, 2011

Favorite Songs

After the sorrow and seriousness of my last post, I thought I would try something a little lighter and fun today, so I've posted videos of 4 of my favorite songs. I would love for anyone to comment on the songs or the bands, no matter if you like or dislike them, tell me their favorite songs or bands, or even leave me suggestions for songs or bands you believe I might enjoy. Thanks!

Sammy's Top 3 Favorite Songs

#1- Into the Ocean by Blue October (#3 on Foiled)

 

Blue October is my favorite band. I discovered them my sophomore year of high school (about six years ago).  The are an alternative rock group from Houston, TX. I love them because of their true uniqueness. Their variety of instruments goes far beyond the standard guitar, bass, and drums. They've used pianos, mandolins, violins, cellos, flutes, etc in all 5 of their albums. Their songs tend to be more somber and sad, but their latest album, Approaching Normal, does have several truly upbeat songs. The lead singer, Justin Furstenfeld, has struggled with mental illness and self-harm, something I can genuinely relate to. For anyone who desires to try something a little different, I cannot recommend them more highly. 

#2- Last Night by Motion City Soundtrack (#4 on Even If It Kills Me)

 

Motion City Soundtrack is an indie rock/pop punk band from Minneapolis, Minnesota.They are my second favorite band. They have released 4 albums. As with Blue October, I stumbled across them in my early high school years. I greatly admire the emotional depth and complexity to their lyrics, many of which hold metaphorical meanings. All 4 albums have a mixture of upbeat and gloomy tracks, but I tend to prefer the gloomy ones a shade more, for the emotion is more subtle, yet, somehow, at the same time, more intense. There is the strong beat and a quick tempo in many of their happy songs, so they are excellent for dancing and singing.

#3 - Fireflies by Owl City (#9 on Ocean Eyes)


Owl City is a new discovery for me. The first Owl City song I heard was Fireflies, and that was only about 5-6 months ago. Instantly, I was hooked on their unique sound. Owl City's genre is synthpop, which, like the name suggests, has a synthetic, electronic sound. The song reminds me of my childhood, when my sister, our friends, and I would catch fireflies after the sun went down, putting them in jars to make lights for our clubhouse. And yes, we would let them go when we were called in for bed time. The song also details the feeling of insomnia, a problem I have battled on a off for years. Next month, they are releasing their new album, All Things Bright & Beautiful, and I am sincerely anticipating its release.

Sammy's Favorite Religious Song- White Man by Michael Gungor


I came across this song about two years ago when Andrew posted it on his blog Hackman's Musings. As I watched the video for the first time, I got tears in my eyes. The animation is cute and just a tad bit cheesy. However, the meaning is anything but. This song sums up my religious beliefs perfectly. GOD IS LOVE! It's what I feel in my heart, and what I know in my mind. It's what I live my life by, and it's why I write this blog. Anytime I am upset or feel overwhelmed by life, I'll listen to this song 2-3 times through, and it reminds me of what I'm fighting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment